Immigrate to Bulgaria from US
Immigrate to Bulgaria from USUpdated on Thursday 21st January 2021
Rate this article
based on 2 reviews.
based on 2 reviews.
Bulgaria is a member of the European Union and one of the prolific economies of Southeastern Europe which is why it attracts foreign citizens and investors from the Old Continent and others.
This is also the case of American citizens who will find Bulgaria to offer one of the lowest corporate taxes in Europe and some of the most important benefits when it comes to employment. In the past few years, IT has become one of the representative industries in Bulgaria, so US citizens seeking to relocate here can take advantage of this sector no matter if they want to start a business or work here.
If you are interested in immigrating to Bulgaria from US, our lawyers are at your service.
Types of visas for Bulgaria
American citizens need visas if they want to travel or move to Bulgaria for short or long periods of time. The two types of visas that can be obtained when relocating to Bulgaria from the USA are:
- the Type C visa which is issued for short-term stays,
- the student visa can also be obtained by those enrolled in a Bulgarian approved education facility,
- the Type D visa which is available for those seeking for long-term relocation.
However, Bulgaria has also enabled a program called the Golden Visa under which permanent residence and citizenship can be obtained under a significant investment in the economy.
Our lawyers in Bulgaria can offer detailed information on the visas presented above, as well as on the Citizenship by Investment scheme which is one of the most appealing and advantageous in Europe’s southeastern region.
Short-term immigration to Bulgaria from US
The Type C visa is one of the most sought when it comes to American citizens who want to stay in Bulgaria for no more of 90 days. It is quite easy to obtain and only requires the applicant to file a request with the Bulgarian Embassy in the US in order to obtain it.
This type of visa is usually requested for various reasons, including tourism, business and family reunification.
American citizens who want to open companies here can rely on our law firm in Bulgaria who can handle the business registration procedure and can also send the invitation for obtaining the Type C visa.
Long-term residence in Bulgaria for American citizens
Those who want to immigrate to Bulgaria from US for more than 3 months have several options of obtaining residence permit. These are:
- long-term EU residence permit which is valid throughout the entire territory of the European Union and has a validity of 5 years,
- the extended residence permit which consists in a visa issued for a period of one year,
- the permanent residence permit which can be obtained after 5 years of living in Bulgaria.
Based on the permanent residence permit, one can obtain Bulgarian citizenship.
Our Bulgarian lawyers can offer more information on the documents to prepare when immigrating here from the US under one of the residence permits presented above. All paperwork must be filed with the Ministry of Interior.
How to immigrate to Bulgaria from US based on investment
Investment is one of the most advantageous ways of immigrating to Bulgaria from any country of the world, including America. In order to obtain a residence permit, the following requirements must be met:
- the applicant must be at least 18 at the time of the application,
- he or she must apply for a residence permit for Bulgaria,
- the applicant must make proof of the funds to invest in the chosen field,
- pass the medical examination and due diligence process.
When it comes to investment options, these are as follows:
- the financing option which implies an investment of 190,000 euros,
- the real estate option which implies the purchase of a property worth 288,000 euros,
- after one year of residency, a 160,000 euros financing option becomes available,
- the value of the property to be purchased is lowered at 278,000 euros after one year of permanent residency.
This is the fast-track procedure of obtaining citizenship by investment in Bulgaria. Additionally, when bringing the spouse or a no-dependent child (adult) an additional 110,000 euros under the financing option or 260,000 euros under the real estate choice is required.
It is possible to combine the two options for those seeking to immigrate to Bulgaria from US under this program. Residence permit holders are not required to live in Bulgaria under this program. More importantly, Bulgaria allows dual citizenship, therefore one can also retain the American passport while obtaining the Bulgarian one.
If you are interested in immigrating to Bulgaria from US, do not hesitate to contact us for tailored services no matter the way you choose to relocate here.